Everyday we are on the information highway, sucking it up and trying to absorb more.
It is not that difficult to get distracted…especially with all the information and activities available at our finger tips.
Social media/social networking is GREAT and a necessary tool that I absolutely love – but it can be distracting if you aren’t careful – right?
You want to learn more about that person because they could be a future client…
….they could be competition and you want to learn more about them or learn from them
….they are popular based on their numbers and comments by others, let me see what they are blogging about
….oh, they mentioned this in the blog post, so let me click on that link and read more about that topic because it is something I read or heard about and I wanna check this out!
The NEXT thing you know…you have visited “5” different websites or more AND an hour or more has passed you by.
But, I am learning….
You learned something new, or found a new resource, or possibly a NEW connection.
Now you may have to follow up and add that to your calendar so that you are reminded to look further….
…or maybe you just don’t have time to read it ALL now so you want to remind yourself later utilizing Read Later
…. Tomorrow..I am going to really focus and catch up on what I should have completed today
Ooops…I did it again…time has passed me by. Sound familiar? Yep..you saw yourself there!
Losing focus can occur when we are working so hard we burn out.
Plans, implementation, networking, writing, reading, working, client consultations, life knocks, family, friends…our minds wander.
There are times we are probably distracted more than others. We keep shifting things that are important, but for whatever reason we are not completing them.
With the help of some great advice, positive energy, self-discipline and belief..let’s get back on track!
Back to Basics..
Sometimes we have to begin at the beginning and go back to the basics and be present.
First admit that there is a possible loss of focus…no one has to know, just you..shhh I wont’ tell. My name is Michelle Church and I lost focus…I am going to focus, catch up, and let that super me take over and handle some things while NOT beating myself up because of it…that felt pretty good actually – on to more suggestions:
1. Work when it makes the best sense…That means create quiet time to improve your productivity. You cannot get anything done with kids or pets pulling on you to get fed. Let that personal phone call go to voice mail, that’s what it’s for. They will leave a message and call back when it works for your schedule.
If there is any kind of family crisis or friend crisis…you will not be productive. Maybe that means you have to get up an hour earlier to have some space to focus and determine your path forward.
2. Determine what is a priority..Prioritizing will at least let you know what’s key to complete first. Sometimes we focus on the wrong things. We become scattered or so far behind we have no clue what to do next.
You have to take some time and read this awesome post by my fellow carnie who talks about action–>goals–>vision to help you truly look at your values as you are working on being productive. Ok…don’t get distracted!
3. Use a timer…I love utilizing timers to help stay on task as well as evaluate what I AM spending my time on. It is especially convenient as part of re-focusing to enhance the progress of holding oneself accountable and jump starting self-discipline.
It will force you to pay attention to what you are working on and NOT get distracted. A kitchen timer will work, but I like the one in my iphone..nice and loud!
4. White noise…Do you like music? Are there moments that you need to have it completely quiet? Personally I prefer to listen to music.
BUT there are times, I need to have it completely quiet to have laser focus. What works best for you?
5. Set a commitment…In conjunction with the timer, set a goal for a particular task.
For example, you may have a blog post due and you just cannot seem to get it done. Create a space, time it, and focus only on that one item.
Oh yeah, schedule time for social networking. It’s very important in building and nurturing relationships, just be sure to stick with your allotted time.
6. Breath…Schedule office hours and stick to them..Honestly…I still struggle with this. I am very responsive to clients when they call or email me (yes, very important) and friends that are in need.
I have learned to have clear policies in place and at times..I cannot be responsive because I have to take care of me and have a life.
Once the guidelines are set and people are aware of them, you have allowed yourself to breath. Make sure YOU follow your own guidelines too!
7. Can someone else take care of it?…Maybe that super person in you needs to find a super person that loves a particular task.
When you find someone that loves it, they will probably get it done a lot quicker saving you time and money.
Get a Life
There is nothing better than improving the quality of your life.
If we don’t take the time to be productive in less time, we surely will burn out and not have the strength to enjoy what we are passionate about.
First things first in gaining productivity…note to self…Take care of you/me.
How do you improve YOUR productivity, share your tips in the comments below?
This post is part of October’s Blog Carnival under the awesome creativity of the Word Chef. Please take time to review other carnies who posted under this months topic..Productivity! How to Get Your ___ Done! Don’t forget to join the discussion on our Tweetchat #wordcarnival Thursday, October 27th at 4p pst.