Your ideal client IS out there and they ARE looking for you. They ARE closer than you think! But how or where do you find them? There is no easy or quick solution. It takes time, effort, and most of all a positive approach. Who said being successful would be easy?
I say a positive approach because attitude matters. You must first believe that your marketing efforts to find your ideal client or clients will pay off.
Personally, I am blessed. That’s not to say there isn’t room for improvement and growth, that’s a life long journey, but I have been fortunate to acquire clients through word of mouth. I did not have to market for the first couple of years, but things changed.
I have had to tap into my positive energy and re-believe in my abilities. When things slowed up and negative thoughts started to creep in, doubt tried to take over. I shook myself and decided to view that as an opportunity to re-create and re-energize. What are the other choices?
Maybe it was complacency or just taking things for granted. Well, I am here to tell you things can turn around with very simple practices and processes – most of all confidence.
Does Marketing scare you?
Sometimes our fear is for not…here’s why:
- When you are on Twitter and you see a valuable blog post that you feel will help those that follow you, you share it right?
- In Facebook, when you read what someone has posted and it resonates with you and you want to help others so you share that.
- When you are visiting a website and you see something that speaks to you, you “like” it so others that are connected with you and value your opinion will read it too.
You are marketing. You are not only marketing for someone else you are marketing and demonstrating who you are.
A leading expert on a webinar just today stressed that marketing is accomplished in many ways. Often some of the basic things we do everyday, is marketing.
In a recent tweet by @tshombe, he said “Marketing is the Voice of Your Passion“. Is that true? When we are passionate about what we do, it shows up when we market.
No matter what we do to find clients, if we are authentic in our energy and efforts, it will draw what we seek to us. Be specific and patient, it willwork. What do they call that…law of attraction! :).
Social Media has worked for me
“Customer word-of-mouth was always important to success — but now that social media has gone mainstream, it’s become critical.” From Authority Rules
First of all, if you are NOT on any of the top social platforms and you want to acquire clients…what are you waiting for?
I can honestly say that my last 6 inquiries have come as a result of my visibility on Twitter or Facebook. So far 4 of them have signed contracts with me. Two of them have been clients for more than a year now
- Four of them approached me and scheduled time to talk.
- Two of them I approached because I saw that they were searching for people via Twitter and Facebook.
Understanding My Ideal Client
Before putting more effort into marketing and finding clients, I had to truly understand who my ideal client was, where they are, and what are their more pressing needs. Fortunately, I was already doing some of the things I will suggest here and it is helping me to find and attract more clients.
Quite honestly, I am still growing in this area and it is evolving, but I do have a good idea and a direction. I could not say that a year ago; even though I have been in business for almost 7 years…clarity has truly arrived this year!
- Find a mentor, coach, or expert that will help you define more succinctly who you want to attract. Thank you Tea Silvestre for really helping me to fine tune it. A work in progress…but an excellent start.
- Be consistent in communicating and sharing using Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn.
- Comment and get engaged with people, be responsive.
- Utilize lists on Twitter…a great way to segment those that you follow and identify if they are your target.
Find new clients is a process and you have to determine what works for you! Hopefully this post helped to stimulate more energy and effort!
I would love any comments or suggestions – How do you locate new clients?
Onward and Upward
This post is part of the Word Carnival, hosted by the masterful Word Chef – Tea Silvestre. We will be chatting about this topic on Thursday, 9-28 from 4-5p pst., come and share your thoughts #wordcarnival! You can read more about the Carnival here.