Periscope is changing lives. It is exposing us to others in a way that is new and exciting.
You can now take a car ride through a country you may never have a chance to visit, meet “rich friends”, join the #ReupCrew and party, watch celebrities in their natural surroundings, grow your business through various tips, watch the growth and cultivation of legalized weed, and soooo much more.
The sky’s the limit for all kinds of opportunities. It is a completely new form of socializing/engaging.
I first learned about Periscope on July 7th when a friend of mine replied to a tweet on Twitter:
.@virtuallyassist I’ll read this because I love you but I loooove Periscope!
— Marquita Thomas (@MarquitaThomas) July 8, 2015
When I first read it, I was baffled honestly. I thought, “Huh?, what is that ? I don’t wanna sound stupid, so I better research before I respond“. My insecure goddess was shaking her head at me, like you really should have known that one.
I use a tool that automatically tweets new posts from some of my favorite blogs, and this was one of them.
Too many times, I don’t get an opportunity to read them, and I was rarely on Twitter as much as I use to be. Most of the time I read blogs as a result of email notifications IF the title catches my eye.
Because I value this person, and she took the time to notify me, I read the blog post. My response wasn’t all that clever, but I did appreciate her time!
On to the next task…didn’t go any further than the blog post. I enjoyed it as always, but I thought…man more social media…who has time for that…I can’t, not now. Let me focus on what’s in front of me!
Two days later, a dear friend/business associate that I rarely have a chance to speak with, called with a business question. During the conversation, she mentioned Periscope.
I have been observing my friend from a far for a while and loving her marketing, graphics and the many responses she receives from those that follow her. I have the utmost respect for her.
When she mentioned Periscope, I took that as a sign! Two people I value greatly, mentioning something new – its time for me to check this out.
Note: Both of these people know me too (I can be a lil techy). They know that I am usually a lil knowledgeable about this type of thing, so they probably assumed I already knew.
As soon as our conversation ended, I downloaded Periscope on my phone and just like many others, I was amazed and stuck.
Here I Go Again – More Social Media
I have been on Twitter since April 2008. At first, like many other people, I had no clue what to do with it. I learned of it from a client that was tweeting all the time. I watched her and learned.
Twitter was 2 years old by the time I learned of it.
I remember news coverage and speculation of what it could or could not do for people. Often, they weren’t sure. Now, everyone talks about Twitter and tells you how to follow them and keep up with what they are doing.
I made it part of my daily routine, reading, learning, sharing, and eventually I probably acquired 4-5 clients from there.
Every time I hear someone, or a TV show say…follow me on Twitter with their handle…I think back to those days before it was so popular.
Now…it’s the new Twitter – Periscope.
My first 30 days on Periscope has been a self-improved, eye-opening, authentic, technical, funny, enlightening, entertaining, partying journey.
This past Saturday evening, I felt like I was at a club for 3 hours as I watched/listened to Deejay ER|ReUpCrew work his magic at a club in LA. I just put the phone down, danced in my chair and continued working. (Actually started this blog post)
I kept thinking, what a great platform for him, you see his masterful skills right before your eyes instantly while partying with him from the comfort of your home! Genius!
It has been so refreshing and wonderful to see most of the people I have watched. Many are giving valuable tips authentically. After all, it’s not difficult to recognize game when it’s in your face, and Periscope is ALL up in your face…no hiding.
After my first week, I called my friend and we discussed our personal hesitation about scoping. What the hell am I gonna talk about?
I had a few ideas swimming around in my head, but my insecure goddess was just folding her arms and shaking her head at me…”You can do this, she said.”
All I could think about was, “I haven’t event adapted to video and now I need to be live and in living color on Periscope.” Oh oh….
I dove head first…I went to a friend/client to show her Periscope and we jumped in, said hello, talked briefly and we were off.
My second time was during a visit to my favorite store and client. I walked around and showed it a little to quickly. I spoke really fast and used a few others while I was there. It was ok….my insecure goddess was happy – I at least made an effort.
The third time, I meditated that morning, got in my car and it just hit me. Scope real quick and share this moment of gratitude, real moment of many emotions and hopefully inspire at least one person. I don’t know if it did, but I felt good.
My fourth time was shortly after a haircut. I was not in the mood for it, I love the atmosphere of the shop, it’s beautiful, great stylists, and I love my barber.
I wanted to give them exposure…but I just wasn’t feeling it. My insecure goddess was laying there saying “get on with it”.
So I turned it on and it was so quick, it made your head spin. My daughter fussed at me for it, and my goddess just looked at me over the glasses on her nose shaking her head. She said hold up…wait a minute, and get a grip!
Sooooo…I have just been watching for a few weeks and absorbing!
I have decided, I need to strategize and decide what do I really want MY Periscopes to be about?. Who am I and what value am I bringing to the table.
This platform is still new, there is enough business out there for all of us…be patient! B r e a t h e!
As each day passes, I have started to step out more, engage and support others.
I am not the type to stand at the front of the class…I support in the background. I CAN hang with the best of them, I just don’t always show that side!
I joined the #tagtribes crew – which is steadily growing. We follow each other on Twitter, share, watch other tribe members scopes, give hearts and overall support. It’s nice, I have met some great people and continue to learn from them too!
A couple of things stand out for me:
- It feels like I opened my door and all these new people have walked in, sat down, and now we are chatting live everyday!
- Periscope is building a culture. It’s building strength through the connections with the right people providing guidelines to live by such as health, growing businesses, etc.
- There is some seriously awesome, authentic marketing going on.
- It feels like people are showing up fully loaded, and showing out…authentically.
- My followers and engagement has increased on Twitter. When I participate in others scope, more people start following me on both. When I am quiet…no new followers….interesting. I know…… the whole point of social networking is to be visible..not quiet! (You should see the look my insecure goddess is giving me now)
- Just like any other network, it’s about WHO you follow, everyone is not for me and I am not for everyone. Therefore it’s not about numbers, but more about quality and being ourselves, the rest will take care of itself!
A few of the things I would love to see change:
- Replays – I would love to be able to rewind and fast forward from Periscope. I know if I follow someone to their website, watch them on Katch.me, and/or YouTube it gives me that opportunity, but I would like to do that from Periscope.
- Trolls – sadly something that is evident in this type of platform. It’s easy to block people, but I wish there was a way for them to automatically be removed when certain words are used. Or, if they get so many blocks, they are permanently blocked.
- I would like to be able to download broadcast I have anytime. Yes, I know Katch can help that (did not work for me yet). But, right after the end of the broadcast is my ONLY chance to save to my phone doesn’t feel fair.
- I would like a way to see ALL of the scopes of people I follow. I only get so many under recent, there seems to be a limit to how many are there. I have to go look for that person and look at there recent to see some of them. (hope that makes sense)
The notification of a new scope – whistling – is a bit much, but all of my notifications are…I have the noisiest phone..good thing I am single! It helps to me stay aware!
Are you on Periscope? If so, what are your thoughts?
Hopefully, I have at least peaked your interest in Periscope if you aren’t. If so, make sure to follow me @virtuallyassist. Very soon I will take another leap.
Please share any thoughts and feedback below. Here are a few people I really enjoy watching and learning from:
Thanks for reading!