Have you ever received a picture from someone, it’s contained in a PDF, you need it in JPG format, and you don’t have the full suite to convert it.
I receive pictures from clients like that quite often. I normally receive them so that I can upload the image into their WordPress website, or to utilize the image on marketing documents. The majority of the time the image needs to be in .jpg format. I don’t have the full Adobe software, so I need to be creative.
We can always find various software to convert from .jpg or other format to .pdf, but we can’t always find software to convert from .pdf to .jpg, at least I have not been able to.
Here are some steps to a process that works.
Add an image to a website page so that people will have the ability to download a pdf file by clicking on the image or text.
1st – Powerpoint
- Insert object – select pdf
- Make it bigger or smaller by selecting the sides of the image.
- Right click – save as picture
- Save as .jpg – note the default will save as .png
2nd – Size
- Open the file in photo editor – (I use Photo Plus SE Pro – Serif)
- I make sure the resolution 300 dpi.
- I will adjust the image size if necessary.
3rd – Import Image into WordPress and add to the page
- Open the page where the picture is going.
- Have the cursor on the line, or the place where the image should be placed.
- Click the icon at the top for “add an image”.
- Choose a file, and find it on the computer.
- Upload it.
- Once it is done you will have a place to select the alignment, I center it (depends on the placement).
- Select Insert into post
Note: if the picture is already in the media library, follow the same procedure except, instead of choose a file, select Media Library, locate the picture or document, align it, insert into post.
4th – Import PDF into WordPress
- On the right hand side of the WordPress screen select Media or add new
- Choose a file, and find it on the computer
- Upload it
- Once it is done, highlight the link location of the file.
- Copy the link information into Notepad
5th – Add a link for the download to the image on the page
- Make sure to you have the link location of the file to be download by website visitors.
- If the page you are working on is not open, right click Pages “Open tab in new window”.
- If the link you are adding is going on text, highlight it. If the link is going with the image, click once on the image – the entire picture will highlight.
- In the toolbar of WordPress, click on the picture of link that says “insert/edit link” (when you put your cursor over it).
- Select the link that you want visitors to receive that is sitting in Notepad and copy
- Copy the link on the first line
- Select Open link in new window if that is an option you want the person to experience and so they don’t leave your page when they download the pdf.
- Click insert…the text should now look like a link with a line beneath it or the picture will now be a link when someone clicks on it. I set it up to do both.
Once everything is done, don’t forget to update the page or publish if you haven’t already.
Tip: I use notepad as a holder of information at times because we can get distracted, possibly copy something else and then have lost what we needed to copy. This way the information is easily accessible. I also utilize notepad to ensure extra code does not end up on the page/site as it will when copying straight from Microsoft Word into WordPress. Typically, I always have a Notepad window open when working adding text into WordPress, just a habit of mine.
Please share your process for pdf images to jpg…always looking to learn something new!
Latest posts by Michelle Church (see all)
- The Simple Truth to Consider when Seeking Guru’s - September 24, 2014
- AVS4YOU – Enhance your online presence for less - August 27, 2014
- Living Your Truth Results In The Delivery of Value - June 25, 2014