Delegation is difficult for some. It’s hard to let go and believe that another can take it on especially when you are a soloprenuer.
We work long hours putting together plans, working on strategies, networking to build and attract new business. Eventually that hard work pays off and you begin to notice that a few things aren’t getting done and you really need more time in a day…more than before.
Hopefully that doesn’t happen because you already planned for the future…
If you want to spend time on the things that utilize YOUR true value, take the time to master delegation.
Consider these points:
- Delegation requires trust. Finding someone you can trust with your baby is not easy. You may need assurance that the person is reliable. Often we have last-minute requirements and the individual needs to be flexible. It will get easier as you delegate more and more…but you will have to start somewhere.
- Determine the skills needed.
- Create or utilize your systems so that you can track/manage the tasks that require delegation. If there isn’t a system already in place, that probably is the first thing to delegate or work with someone to develop for you.
- Delegation should make your life easier not harder. It could be extra work at first, but with the right people…that will pass quickly. Remember to include following up in the system.
- Be clear about the tasks that need to be delegated. Make time to ensure there are no mis-understandings which will save you time in the long run. Ensure the tools needed for the task are provided.
- Communication and listening are key. The person you are delegating to may be an expert with a better, more efficient way of completing the task – be open to it.
Evaluate, Match Skills, Encourage, Praise, Relax…
Are you ready to delegate? What’s stopping you?